Is it time to design your dream home? You’ve likely been thinking about the features and feel for years, but now that you’re ready to begin, you may be wondering where to start.
There are many things to consider before you design your custom home. First of all, where will you build it? Many homeowners think they’ll save money by purchasing stock home plans, but what they don’t realize is that the land or lot where the home will be built as well as the area’s climate will affect much of the design. In the end, purchasing a stock plan may cost more than allowing a professional home designer to design your dream home.
Another factor to think about when you design your dream home is the space, uniqueness, and functionality of the home’s layout. A custom home designer can produce a plan that takes all your wishes into consideration and will design your dream home in accordance with state and local safety standards.
Is it expensive to hire a custom home designer?
Typically, home designers are less expensive than hiring an architect. But the advantage of a professional home designer is that they primarily focus on single-family homes – a big advantage to think about when you design your dream home. They understand the building codes and usually have contacts within the local building community, such as contractors and homebuilders who will do the work after you design your dream home.
A custom home designer can help you maximize your list of desired features and must-haves while staying within your budget. They are trained to respect your wishes and style and will design your dream home to suit the lot you’ve selected as well as comply with local building inspector codes.
Don’t you need an architect to design your dream home?
Not necessarily. Today, most architects design large, commercial projects. The advantage of hiring a professional home designer to design your dream home is that they are specialists in the home design industry.
Things a professional home designer can help you with as you design your dream home:
- If you’re buying into a themed community, a designer can help you give your home its own unique feel.
- What about Home Owner Association (HOA) constraints? Before you spend a lot of time and money, discuss any HOA regulations with a professional designer, who can take those into consideration as you design your dream home.
- Energy efficiency is another item to discuss with a professional home designer. Climate affects many design considerations. Even something as seemingly simple as which direction your home will face needs to be taken into consideration as you design your dream home.
- How will your dream home interact with the surroundings? Again, a professional home designer can bring years of experience to the drawing table in this area.
- Ease of maintenance is a huge consideration as you design your dream home. You want to be able to enjoy your home, not spend every waking hour working to keep it looking great.
- Home design trends change just as do fashion trends. If that is important to you, discuss the area’s home design trends with your professional home designer as you design your dream home.
- How long will it take to not only design your dream home, but to actually finish the construction? Your local professional home designer can answer these questions for you.
If you’re looking for a professional home designer in the Central Texas area, contact Central Texas Designs, which serves the Temple, Belton, Killeen and Fort Hood communities.